Friday, November 13, 2009

Swiss Style

In Luzerne, sweet club with the accomodations upstairs from the venue, attatched with an espresso machine, fridge, washer/ dryer full bath etc. Earlier today we drove all around Basel trying to find a place to do laundry (they don't exist here). Well, Jackpot! Shows have all been great. This is the most headlining I've ever done, ie: Long sets, and encores. Weird to think that is such a rarity for as long as I been doin this dang thing. It's also a little weird to be THAT BAND that is having the kinda long soundcheck while the staff is kinda lookin at u and the openers are probably thinking "Geez, prima donnas, sounds fine." But I'll take it. We reach the halfway point of this Euro leg in a couple of days. In that time I'll get to hang out with Wilson(!) and meet Nikita, our booker, for the first time. There have been some rough patches, and they'll be more I'm sure. But for this moment it's nice.

Last night in Munchenstein, near Basel, the place was cool. a semi collective of 4 guys who built the bar/club themselves. They all do construction stuff during the day, and then do the bar for fun at night. Later after we played and some loosening, I met these two folks, one of which worked across the alley in this huge Art studio that focuses on making large Art for artists, in all metals, glass you name it.They took me over. This place was huge. Serious equipment and kilns. Was cool to see and made me think, for a minute anyway about if I had stayed on the art path. But it was frustrating too. These 'artists' just come up with an idea and then this team of guys and gals ACTUALLY make it and really don't get any credit. I know thats the name of the game, but I also know that a certain percentage of these artists are self absorbed douches that probably, when pressed couldn't make a damn thing on their own. Anyway, some of the things they had just finished will be showing in NY when we get back there on Dec 2nd. it would be cool to take it full circle and check it out. A rare opportunity, though I'm guessing I'll be severely jet lagged.

Off to a fine cooked meal. Ciao!

No comments: